Use of the Archive
The use of the manuscripts reading room is only possible with prior appointment. Please register by phone or email indicating date and time of arrival, expected length of stay and the topic of study.
Opening hours of the manuscript reading hall:
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Closed on Saturdays.
For the use of the collections of the German Literature Archive the following is to be considered:
- The reception desk is occupied from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.: +49 (0) 7144 / 848-0.
- Media and collections, which cannot be consulted in the reading room of archive or library (among other things, not categorized closed collections, images and objects, sound- and film-carrier), are excluded from using. Please contact us in time in case your research requires these media and collections.
- Holdings of the archives which are currently shown in exhibitions must be ordered at least two weeks in advance.
- Please maintain social distancing!
The holdings of the archive are available free of charge for research-based, literary and journalistic papers and studies.
There are fees for extra services, such as copies, photos, scans and their use. The informational PDF entitled ›Reproduction and Usage Fees‹ lists the current prices of copies, photos and usage fees as well as conditions for the use of images.
Please fill out and attach a request for use to your reservation when you submit a written order for copies.
A request for publication permission must be filed in the case of publishing a complete text or quotes from archival materials at the DLA.
In the case of existing copyrights, written consent of the copyright holder must be obtained.
- Information services (inquiries, searches and the processing of copy requests and of photo requests)
- Loans for exhibits outside of the DLA
Information Service Archive
Telephone +49 (0) 7144 / 848-425
Telefax +49 (0) 7144 / 848-490
Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
The German Literature Archive will be closed on the following days:
18.5.2023 Ascension Day
29.5.2023 Whit Monday
8.6.2023 Corpus Christi
3.10.2023 German Unity Day
1.11.2023 All Saints' Day
The copy desk is opened Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 3 pm. The self-service scanners are available from 8.30 am to 6 pm.