The use of the manuscripts reading room is only possible with prior appointment, due to very limited number of seats. Please register by phone or email indicating date and time of arrival, expected length of stay and the topic of study. For the stay in the reading rooms, the presentation of a daily negative test, a complete vaccination or convalescence certificate is necessary.
Phone +49 (0) 7144 / 848-425
Opening hours of the reading halls
Monday to Friday, 8.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
For the use of the collections of the German Literature Archive the following is to be considered:
- You are obliged to wear masks for the mouth and nose area when being in the building. For the safety of other visitors and our employees, we are unfortunately unable to admit guests who wish to enter our premises without a mask, even if they can present a medical certificate.
- The reception desk is occupied from 9 am to 17 pm: +49 (0) 7144 / 848-0.
- On Saturdays the building is closed.
- Media and collections, which cannot be consulted in the reading room of archive or library (among other things, not categorized closed collections, images and objects, sound- and film-carrier), are excluded from using. Please contact us in time in case your research requires these media and collections.
- Holdings of the archives which are currently shown in exhibitions must be ordered at least two weeks in advance.
- The cafeteria is open from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. until 4.30 p.m. A limited menu is available. Please note that max. 10 persons may gather in the cafeteria at the same time. Coffee and tea are available from the machines in the cafeteria, while cold soft drinks can be purchased from the vending machine in the basement.
- Please maintain social distancing (minimum is 1,5m)!
The holdings of the archive are available free of charge for research-based, literary and journalistic papers and studies.
There are fees for extra services, such as copies, photos, scans and their use. The informational PDF entitled ›Reproduction and Usage Fees‹ lists the current prices of copies, photos and usage fees as well as conditions for the use of images.
Please fill out and attach a request for use to your reservation when you submit a written order for copies.
A request for publication permission (German PDF) must be filed in the case of publishing a complete text or quotes from archival materials at the DLA.
In the case of existing copyrights, written consent of the copyright holder must be obtained.
- Information services (inquiries, searches and the processing of copy requests and of photo requests)
- Loans for exhibits outside of the DLA