The German Literature Archive and the Museum of Modern Literature are open again!
For the limited use of the collections of the German Literature Archive the following is to be considered:
- A visit is only possible after registration and scheduling (very limited number of seats in the script hall). The registration is done by phone or by email at the department Archive or Library.
- For the safety of other visitors and our employees, we are unfortunately unable to admit guests who wish to enter our premises without a mask, even if they can present a medical certificate.
- The reception desk is occupied from 9 am to 17 pm; the reception is reachable by phone call for questions regarding access and entrance: +49 (0) 7144 / 848-0.
- Media and collections, which cannot be consulted in the reading room of archive or library (among other things, not categorized closed collections, images and objects, sound- and film-carrier), are excluded from using. Please contact us in time in case your research requires these media and collections.
- Holdings of the archives which are currently shown in exhibitions must be ordered at least two weeks in advance.
- As a visitor you are obliged to wear masks for the mouth and nose area when being in the building.
- The reading rooms are opened Monday to Friday from 9 am to 17 pm.
On Saturdays the building is closed.
- The cafeteria is opened from Monday to Friday but with limited choice (selling from 10.30 am to 13.30 pm, coffee machine from 10 am to 16 pm).
- Please maintain social distancing (minimum is 1,5m)!
Opening Hours of the Archive and Library
Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Phone +49 (0) 7144 / 848-425
Phone +49 (0) 7144 / 848-317
The holdings of the archive are available free of charge for research-based, literary and journalistic papers and studies.
There are fees for extra services, such as copies, photos, scans and their use. The informational PDF entitled ›Reproduction and Usage Fees‹ lists the current prices of copies, photos and usage fees as well as conditions for the use of images.
Please fill out and attach a request for use to your reservation when you submit a written order for copies.
A request for publication permission (German PDF) must be filed in the case of publishing a complete text or quotes from archival materials at the DLA.
In the case of existing copyrights, written consent of the copyright holder must be obtained.
- Information services (inquiries, searches and the processing of copy requests and of photo requests)
- Loans for exhibits outside of the DLA
Information Service Archive
Telephone +49 (0) 7144 / 848-425
Telefax +49 (0) 7144 / 848-490
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m.